I travel a lot. Given that, I recognize that it’s very easy to fall into the trap of gas station food and way too many sweets. That said, a girl has to eat and few things can rival the sweet/salty combo while traveling. I made this to get me through long haul drives and satisfy those cravings.
Maple Pecan Snack Mix
- 2 cups shelled pecan halves
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp maple sugar
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apples cut in small pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Place a small pan on medium heat and add the oil, sugar, maple syrup, and salt.
- Stir until it comes to a boil and then toss in the nuts.
- Keep cooking for another 3 minutes or so and then pour the nuts on a baking sheet covered with baking paper covered in foil to prevent sticking.
- Separate the nuts into a single layer and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes. At the 5½ minute mark, stir the nuts and make sure they are in a single layer and bake for the remaining time. Sugar should be visibly crystallized.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool. Mix with dried apples and cranberries.