This stew is guaranteed to provide a bit of warmth to your winter months. Feel free to use other meat as available or change the proportions of root vegetables.
Bison Sweet Potato Poblano Stew
For flour mixture:
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup masa
- Oil for browning
- 1 lb of bison stew meat
- 2 parsnips
- 2 carrots
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 cups of broth beef, bison, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- Mix flour mixture together and coat chunks of stew meat.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the outside layer of the meat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut parsnips, peel and cut carrots, remove seeds and stem from poblanos, and peel and cut sweet potatoes.
- Add meat, parsnips, carrots, poblanos, and sweet potatoes to slow cooker. Add 4 cups of broth and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.